LatStudios were engaged by Lendlease on behalf of RNA to design and deliver this new mixed-use street to establish a vital pedestrian link between The Plaza and St Pauls Terrace and become the main activity spine through the heart of the wider urban renewal precinct, The Brisbane Showgrounds. Brisbane’s newest ‘high street’ was envisioned to comprise a wide and vibrant mix of dining, retail, market spaces, cafes, and bars.
- Negotiated with EDQ and BCC to achieve creative streetscape outcomes not previously achieved within Brisbane.
- Achieved asymmetrical footpath offsets, widths, and arrangements to offer opportunities for commercial and informal activation without compromising the connectivity and function of the street.
- Considered overlays of the Ekka, markets and pop up stalls within functional layouts and service provisions.
- Arranged pavement treatments to create variety to the ground plane while reinforcing wayfinding and spatial hierarchies.
- Designed custom furniture interventions along the street to offer settings for interaction and aesthetic interest.
- Integrated bio retention gardens into an urban streetscape for the first time in Brisbane. The water treatment devices are discretely housed within the ground cover planting and canopy tree pits.
- Reinforced the distinctive precinct character of the Showgrounds through art interventions and materiality.
- Introduced a native tree and plant palette for the first time in the city context referencing the Showgrounds rural connections.